Monday, January 30, 2006

Daddy's milk

This morning I wasn't too hungry, so I only ate for a few minutes during my morning feeding. While I falling asleep, a curious thing happened--I saw mommy pull out a machine and start feeding it instead of me! To make sure I wasn't dreaming, I only took a little milk in the afternoon, and she confirmed my suspicions by feeding the machine again.

I wasn't sure what was going on, but because I hadn't eaten much all day, I was really hungry by the time evening rolled around. I nursed and nursed, but after a little while (half an hour actually) mommy said that she was out of milk. It was that machine that took all my milk! Daddy tried to console me while mommy made more milk, but I was too mad about the whole machine thing. I was very hungry and upset, and I was crying vigorously.

Then a second curious thing happened. While daddy was holding me in bed and I was crying, he stuck something in my mouth, which made me suck. When I sucked, milk, glorious milk came out! Daddy said it was called a bottle.

The milk was actually coming too fast, and I was so surprised, I gagged a little. But I was happy to have something in my stomach. I'm not too sure where daddy's milk came from, but it tasted pretty much the same as mommy's and it held me over for an hour or so.

In the middle of the feeding, grandma came in and said that I was smarter than daddy because daddy couldn't figure out the bottle when he was a baby.

I'm going to keep an eye out for this machine, and I'll keep you posted on its activities. A word to babies everywhere though--don't let your mommy feed anyone else except you.



Mommy and daddy's interpretation of the events:
Well, we were trying to pump and store up some milk in the freezer so that Mike might feed Owen occasionally in the middle of the night starting next week. We read that if we didn't try to introduce the bottle around then, he might not want to take it, and Mike does want to feed him now and then. Unfortunately, the pump was a little too efficient and Nan ran out of milk at Owen's peak feeding time. Next time, we'll only pump once a day, maybe in the morning.

No comments: