Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Plymouth and the Fourth

On Sunday, I took mommy, daddy, and Uncle Nicky to the city of Plymouth. The weather was hot and muggy, but it was nice and cool when we got to the ocean.

First stop was the Plimoth Plantation. It's a place where people dress up like Pilgrims from the 17th century. There are natives too who are actually descendants of the original tribe.

Mennonites visiting the Plimoth Plantation
We were confused whether these ladies were actors arriving late for work, but they actually appeared to be Mennonites. Some were even carrying cameras.

One baby please
Me asking for my ticket. Or am I showing mommy the way to go?

Wampanoag village set
Wampanoag village site. Somewhere under the pile of furs was a one year old baby. He is the son of the lady sitting next to him. I was jealous of his comfy looking bed because I wanted to take a nap too.

My friend the rooster
My friend the rooster. This chicken came all the way across the farmyard to my stroller to check me out. I was born in the year of the Rooster, so maybe he felt something in me.

After the Plantation, daddy wanted to go somewhere called Cranberry World. He remembered it from when his mommy and daddy took him to Plymouth when he was younger. It was the Ocean Spray cranberry juice factory/store. But when we got there, it was gone! He was very disappointed. So instead we went on to the Mayflower II and Plymouth Rock.

Mayflower II
The Mayflower II, a recently built version of the original.

Aboard the Mayflower II
Aboard the Mayflower II. It was very small. This is almost half of the width of the ship.

The next day was the Fourth of July. We forgot the camera, but it was just as well. We started off our national holiday celebration with dim sum in Chinatown. It was surprisingly good, according to mommy and daddy.

Then we walked around Boston trying to find things to do. We first tried to go to the Tea Party museum, but it had disappeared just like Cranberry World!

So we walked around the wharf to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. There was nothing much going on there, but we did find a Beard Papa there. Mommy was very excited to see the Beard Papa. But we were so full from dim sum, so we didn't have any. We'll have to go back another time.

We were going to keep on walking, but I got tired. We headed home for a nap, but no sooner than we had arrived, it started pouring rain. I also went to sleep early so I missed the fireworks at the Charles River. Mommy stayed home to keep me company. Daddy and Uncle Nicky went. Daddy said they were the best fireworks ever! Maybe next year...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

owen, I find it hard to believe that Boston's fireworks were better than Culver city's last year. Your daddy must have been drunk...as usual. tell him to stop going to Sam Adams on boylston

Mike said...

Sam Adams on Boylston? Daddy will have to take me there. I'll ask him about it.