Sunday, March 12, 2006

Chinese temple visit

Sunday morning was cold! At least it was cold outside. And that's where we went today. After picking up Uncle Nick we headed to the Chinese temple for a late New Year's thing.

Chinese temple
Here is the temple in Chinatown.

Inside, everyone did ancestor stuff while I sat in the corner breathing in the incense fumes. So smoky! But my family didn't forget me. Ah Mah helped me give my offerings. At least I think she was helping me out. Maybe she was offering me to the ancestors.

I am making offerings

Ward off bad luck, Daddy!
It's supposed to be a bad luck year for daddy (and everyone else born in the year of the dragon). Ah Mah made him give extra offerings to the ancestors. The ghostly looking guy is brushing the bad luck off of him with a wad of money, "Currency of Hell." Then daddy had to go burn the money outside.

I cooed "Ah Goo" earlier today, which is Uncle Nick's name. While daddy was making extra offerings, I started crying, and Uncle Nick picked up my seat and calmed me down. What a nice guy!

Uncle Nick and me

Afterwards we went to Golden Dragon, and the grownups had dim sum. I was stunned by all the different kinds of food and all the strange people. Here I am sitting in dazed silence.

Dim sum!

I do lots of Chinese things, don't I? Well, I am 3/4 Chinese after all.

No comments: