Friday, March 03, 2006

Thai book club

Like I mentioned before, Ah Mah brought me some books from Thailand. Today, mommy read me some stories from them. She was reading in Thai, and I love hearing the language! I smile every time someone talks Thai to me. Even when Daddy tries to talk Thai even though he can't really do the tonal thing.

Here's the first book I read today. It's about a fork and a spoon who learn that taking turns and being polite can protect you from the attack of a giant rat.


The "Chaotic" cutlery. See the rat in the upper left corner?

Here's another book I read today. It's about Nidnoi ("A little bit") and how she gets lost in the forest and saved by a magical flower. The Thai version of the story tells you so much more than the English one. Good thing I'm learning Thai too! Check out some of the captions from the book:


Actual translation: Nidnoi is a grateful girl who lives with her grandmother in a house by the forest.



Actual translation: Nidnoi bent down to look at the colorful small flower but it was about to die because it lacked water. "My dear flower, I'm so sorry for you!"

The flower grants Nidnoi three wishes, and she only uses one of them: to wish her sick grandma recovers. The flower heals grandma and then throws in some candy and clothes too on top of her wish.

I love my Thai books! I'll share some more with you when mommy reads them to me!

No comments: